Friday, July 11, 2014

2.11 The Great Outdoors - Pure Michigan

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the eleventh day of each month is "The Great Outdoors."
***************************
I'm hanging out with my mother and sister for a few days in Michigan. My mother recently informed me that she has lived in Michigan for the better part of three decades and she had not seen a single one of the lighthouses around Lake Michigan.  I was dumbfounded by this news and we spent all day today driving to lighthouses. This one, Muskegon South Pierhead, was my favorite.  The pier was empty of everyone but us and the seagull.


I think sometimes people think of Michigan as Detroit and not much of anything else, but it's actually a very lovely state with the Great Lakes and beaches and dunes, forests and lush green areas, and beautiful cities like Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor with thriving art and culture communities.


Oh, and the sky. The blue goes on and on forever with nary a cloud in sight. The sunsets are gorgeous golds, pinks, purples, and made me want to sit on the beach forever and just dream.

***************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment