Sunday, July 13, 2014

2.13 Happy - Pure Michigan, Part Two

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the thirteenth day of each month is "Happiness."
***************************

Well, my mother and I continued the Great Lakes Lighthouse Journey of 2014 (GLLJ '14) with a brief trip to Lake Huron where we saw the amazing Point aux Barques lighthouse (pictured directly below) and the Fort Gratiot Lighthouse (third photo below). I have nothing but good things to say about these lighthouses and the hardworking volunteer associations that are in charge of restoration and maintenance of these buildings.  These lighthouses are old, established in the early- to mid-1800s, and the fact they are a) still operational and b) open for random folks to wander through, is a feat that I am unwilling to underestimate.


It didn't hurt that the GLLT '14 allowed us to follow the Huron coastline for a couple of hours. There's just something that really warms this native Michigander's soul when I get to look out over the lake and see nothing except for endless water and sky. 


It was also delightful to have some time with my mom who would say increasingly silly things just to see how hard I would laugh.


Mom: This is Lake Huron? I thought Lake Michigan was called that because it stretched out all the way around Michigan.
Me and my sister: blank stares
Sister: Have you ever looked at a map of Michigan in the thirty years you've lived here?

Happiness is knowing your mother is responsible for your absolute inability to read a map and your general haplessness with directionality.

***************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment