Wednesday, July 30, 2014

2.30 Contemplate - Today In Avoidance

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the thirtieth day of each month is "Contemplate."
****************************

Between the tensions between Palestine and Israel and the imbroglio that is Russia and Ukraine, I struggle to force myself to look at the news in the morning. But I wonder about the civilians who lives in these countries - civilians who want nothing more than to live their lives, go to work, cook meals, care for their children, and play fetch at the park, but who now must live knowing that soldiers could be walking down the street, planes could be falling from the sky, and checkpoints that were intended for safety now provide everyday opportunities for violence and chaos. 

There are no easy solutions for any of these events and since I can't actually think of anything I can do personally to ease anybody's suffering, I find myself checking out from current events, more focused on my own day to day inconveniences and pesky annoyances.  But in many ways that makes me even more part of the problem, wallowing in guilt over something, but failing to act on any of it. Should I send money? Where should it go? Does it help to read the news? Write the letters?  Dream of a place where little kids can go to school without fear of being kidnapped or shot? 

I don't know any of the answers, but today I have plenty of questions.
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment