Sunday, August 10, 2014

3.10 Work - The Fun Sort

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the tenth day of each month is "Work."

****************************
This sewing thing is new to me.  Ever since I've become concerned about ethical fashion, my goal has been to be able to make clothes for myself. Fabric isn't all that much cheaper than already constructed garments in many cases, but if I buy fabric sourced in the United States or the Eurozone, I would feel better about my clothing.
However, I am a long, long way from there. Yesterday I replicated a bag from a pattern that I had previously made in a beginner's sewing class. I was pleased I was able to figure out how to replicate it without too much fuss, but I'm pretty sure if I had to follow a pattern on my own, I would either completely mess it up and waste lots of fabric or I would end up tearing my hair out in sheer frustration.
But this is a start.  I have all the major things needed: a sewing machine, a bit of fabric, an iron and ironing board, fabric shears, lots of bobbins, threads, pins, and needles, and the desire to become Holly Homemaker and be useful around the house.  
It's definitely not as pretty when you look at the stitching inside!
We'll see. I'm sure that once school starts up again, I'll feel obligated to do the reading and work on my lectures instead of working on my sewing skills.
 ****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment