Thursday, August 28, 2014

3.28 Cooking - CSA Vegetables

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the twenty-eighth day of each month is "Cooking."
****************************
Our CSA is in full awesomeness right now.  What we have below is this week's basket that I very excitedly picked up this afternoon. It includes a bulb of garlic, red carrots, a couple peppers, a zillion tiny onions, kale, a bulb of kohlrabi, cherry tomatoes, some heirloom/slicer tomatoes, and a personal watermelon (it's the yellow bulb that looks like it could be a giant lemon until you remember that I live in Wisconsin and there ain't no lemons growing here).  I could not be more excited about this basket.  Well, yes, I could, I guess. I really don't care for kale, but I'll eat it. It's a superfood, so does that make me a superwoman if I eat it?
Since Dr. BB can eat exactly one thing pictured here (the watermelon), this is all mine, my friends. If we were going to be here for the Farmers' Market this weekend, I would have purchased more tomatoes and kohlrabi, too.

Here's the "use all the CSA ingredients" plan:

Carrots: I will make a carrot soup with it.  It's a variation of this recipe, but I don't have a Wonderbag, so I just keep simmering the carrots on the stove stop until they're super tender.  Then I eat this soup for lunch and die a slow death of deliciousness.

Peppers: I'll just chop them up and eat them raw when I want a snack.

Kale: I'll saute the kale for ten to fifteen minutes on medium-high heat with lots of butter, garlic, and onions.  Then at the end, I will throw on some balsamic vinegar and melt in some cheese (I'm partial to this recipe with Parmesean, but I'll use whatever cheese we have handy in the house). Then I throw some walnuts on it before I eat it. This bunch of kale will probably allow me to do this twice.

Kohlrabi: I have some cabbage left over from last week's basket, so I'll make some slaw with the cabbage and kohlrabi (maybe I'll shred up ONE tiny carrot for the slaw for a bit of color).  The dressing will be some olive oil, a smidge of garlic, maple syrup, and lemon. I'll toss in some walnuts (or sunflower seeds, but we never have those) and dried cranberries or cherries. Delicious. It keeps in the fridge for several days, too.

Tomatoes: Seriously? EAT THEM LIKE CANDY.

Watermelon: I'll probably let the boy eat it since I'm not a big melon fan. If he doesn't want it, I'll eat it with my yogurt and granola with breakfast one morning.
CANDY!!

What's at your market these days?
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment