Saturday, August 30, 2014

3.30 Contemplate - Stream of Consciousness

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the thirtieth day of each month is "Contemplate."
****************************
As I wandered into the public library, humming Rednecks, White Socks, and Blue Ribbon Beer, I had an image of everyone breaking out into a flash mob, dancing to the song. How many people around the world are also thinking about this song right now?  So that one guy in Wyoming who lives in his mom's basement listening to The Greatest Hits of Johnny Russell on repeat must also have a deep abiding love for Tom T. Hall, who I frequently confuse for Johnny Russell. 

Do you think Tom T. Hall was bitter that his last name was Hall and his parents gave him the boring name of Tom?  Is there anyone who is named Tom who isn't bitter to some extent about the sheer boringness of it?  What's the perfect name balance?  You want it to be memorable, but not boring. Or maybe some people do want boring? Why would they want to be boring? Because they are boring? Or they're shy and don't want people to pay too much attention to them?  But what about people with super unusual names? That must be annoying, too.  Constantly spelling it and phonetically writing it. 

Hey, what the hell is this metal sculpture supposed to be? Two people holding hands?  Two trees?  Maybe it's just abstract. How do you come to appreciate abstract art?  I don't really get it.  Hey, the student I'm meeting likes art. Maybe I'll ask her for a primer on abstract art.  But really, I need to remember to bring her the pickle pin I promised her. We're only meeting a couple of more times. 
It's actually supposed to be water - it's called The River. I read the plaque.
Don't even pretend your mind doesn't work exactly like this.
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

1 comment:

  1. River was the first thing that came to my mind! Jill's influence must be paying off.

    ReplyDelete