Sunday, August 31, 2014

3.31 Guilty Pleasures - My Reading List

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the thirty-first day of each month is "Guilty Pleasures."
****************************
I don't think that this will come as a surprise to anyone, but I read a lot of trash. Since I have switched to reading a lot on my Kindle, I buy fewer and fewer paper books and I've been slowly getting rid of a lot of books that take up precious bookshelf space, but I can't bear to get rid of my J.D. Robb books or any of my Charlaine Harris books. Even though I have started buying even these authors on my Kindle, the thought of getting rid of these books gives me the shivers. What if I need to reference Portrait in Death?  (See also the shelf of Harry Potter books directly below this. I will never give them up. In the impending apocalypse, I will take a fistful of pills while reading some Rowling.)

I'm just going to list some of my other guilty romance series. Most of these are hidden on my Kindle, so you'd never know to look at me that I'm reading pure smut.

1. The Rocker series by Terri Anne Browning - Browning's writing has occasionally distracting grammatical errors (even the titles "The Rocker That... " should be "The Rocker Who..."), but her character development is amazing.  At least it was amazing until the most recent book in the series.

2. With Me in Seattle series by Kristen Proby - The next (and last) book in the series is coming out in November!! I can't wait. This series is incredibly uneven. Fight with Me, Rock with Me, and Play with Me are definitely the cream of the crop here, but I am holding out hope that #8 will take me back to the magic of those earlier titles.  I'm starting to think Proby has run out of plausible reasons for conflict between the hero and heroine, though.

3. The Reed Brothers series by Tammy Falkner - Just read the books, not the novellas. The books are great. The last book is coming out in December!!! Squeeeeeee!!  I love these books.  I'm not ashamed. I want the characters to be real people so I can invite them to dinner. Unfortunately, they are not real people and I don't know anyone else who will admit to having read these books, so I don't have anyone else I can talk to about who the hottest brother is (Logan, right?).

4. The McCarthy's of Gansett Island series by Marie Force - I had a brief, intense love for these books. Then Force made the decision to stop writing about my favorite characters (Stephanie and Grant) and I got bored and confused by all the characters. So, I do recommend these books, but be aware - Stephanie and Grant get ignored after their initial story is told!

Tell me, what's your favorite embarrassing read? 
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

1 comment:

  1. I'll read The Reed Brothers, and then we can talk. Okay? Okay.

    But I refuse to read the one with the grammatical error in the title.

    ReplyDelete