Tuesday, August 05, 2014

3.5 Fun - Temporary Office

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the fifth day of each month is "Fun."
****************************
I actually have an office (with a nameplate on the door!), but because it is summer, getting a key to the office has been a challenge, so I’ve been temporarily officing in what is essentially the storage room for our department. This room is filled with posters that fill me with glee, particularly this Scooby Doo movie poster. There’s something about a twelve-year old cultural reference that seems too soon to be classic, but too old to be anything other than lame and it seems to fit right in the academic world. 
There are also a series of magnets on random file cabinets.  I was working with a student today in this “office” and she just looked around and said, “you really are trying to brainwash us, aren’t you?” as casually as if she had asked me if I am enjoying the unseasonably cool weather. I had no response to this, but I did suggest that she not say that too loudly around other, more sensitive souls than me who might be wandering around the department. 

Next week in class, I’m going to introduce the problematic nature of globalization and cultural appropriation in the creation of magnets for your metal storage containers.  Let’s get this thought control experiment started in earnest!
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment