Tuesday, September 30, 2014

4.30 Contemplate - Personal Hygiene

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the thirtieth day of each month is "Contemplate."
****************************
As I was getting ready for work this morning, I considered all the other things I could be doing instead of showering, lotioning, and putting on makeup. I considered all the hours I have spent in my lifetime taking care of personal hygiene and I decided that I could have, on average, an hour of extra sleep each day if I didn't have to that shit.
Look, I get it. Cleanliness is good and keeps away many disgusting diseases (does anyone else listen to Sawbones? whenever they start talking about how epidemics could have been prevented if folks had clean water and used it to wash their hands, I just want to hit my head on something hard). Good oral health is also important in preventing certain kinds of cancers, heart disease, and you know, losing your teeth.
But ever since I read (ummm...listened to the audiobook) The Kite Runner, I think about the internal monologue Amir has when he's getting his ass kicked and he starts adding up the hours he's spent brushing his teeth in his lifetime and what a waste it was since his teeth were now on the ground in front of him.  I spend twenty minutes each day brushing, flossing, and poking at my gums. I'm going to be super pissed when the dentist finally gives up and tells me I need to have my bottom teeth pulled. Just like Amir.

I know everyone is dying to know about my makeup products. Here's what I wear to work each day in order to look like what I looked like in my mid-20s on a bad day.

Two Faced Primed & Poreless Skin Smoothing Face Primer ($30 for one ounce) - You need a good primer or your foundation will just sink into the lines and wrinkles, especially around the eyes. I could get away without it when I was in my 20s, but no more. I also like Benefit's Porefressional, but it's more expensive and I don't notice that much of a difference.

Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation ($47 for one ounce) - I know. The price stings.  But I have stupid sensitive skin and it has red spots all over and this is THE BEST foundation for coverage that won't make folks with sensitive skin break out. I allow myself this makeup splurge and YOU CAN'T MAKE ME FEEL BAD ABOUT IT.

Benefit Stay Don't Stray eye primers ($26 for .33 ounces) - I use eye primers because it means I can use cheap eyeshadow. You can totally do without eye primer, but you'll have to pony out more money for eyeshadows.  I hate the packaging, but I love the product. It's has a "dip-n-dab" (their words) wand, so you actually put the wand on your eye. I dislike this because it means I need to replace the product a lot earlier than I would have to based on usage. Plus, the opaque packaging makes it impossible to know how much you have left. Anyway, it works really well which is why I'm still using it, over three years after I last complained about it.

Benefit Big Beautiful Eyes ($32) or The Body Shop Bunch of Violets Shimmer Cubes ($22) - Eyeshadow depends on what I'm wearing, but I like these two. I also have 347892374892 tiny things of cheap eyeshadow I buy at Walgreens because I'm weak. If you use primer on your eyes, you can get away with it.

Maybelline Great Lash Mascara ($5.99) - You're supposed to replace this every three months. You are crazy if you think I'm spending $20 or more on mascara that I will only use a fraction of and have to throw away.

Nars Blush (Orgasm) ($30) - I hemmed and hawed over spending $30 on blush. It seemed like too much, but the internet was correct - I would pay twice that for this blush now. I will never go back to drugstore blush again.  Nars, you win.

Blistex  Lip Medex (almost always on sale at 2 for $3) - I'm addicted to Blistex and I refuse to do anything about this addiction.

*As always, I am paid nothing for these reviews. I purchased all of this on my own with my own money.
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment