Thursday, October 23, 2014

5.23 Writing - End of Season

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the twenty-third day of each month is "Writing."
****************************
Today will be the last frantic dash to pick up the CSA basket in between my jobs. Today was the twentieth week of the season and it was a bittersweet moment. I will miss the vegetables, but I will not miss the not knowing what we’re going to get or how much we’re going to get that makes grocery shopping arduous. I will miss the moment of excitement when I unpack everything on the counter and dream about all the delicious things we will make, but I will not miss kale. 
We missed a basket this year (someone forgot to pick it up when someone else was out of town, despite a reminder note, a text message reminder, and a phone call the night before, but the person who forgot was very, very, very sorry, so the person who was out of town must learn to be forgiving) and we didn’t always do super well at using everything in the basket (kale, ginger, and beets are a problem for us), but it certainly did force me to integrate vegetables into my diet in ways I never have before. I know pack the largest size Ziplock container we have fully of cut up vegetables for lunch every day – cucumbers, radishes, sweet peppers, tomatoes, beans, and carrots are most common – and eat everything as if it is dipped in honey.

Here is the haul for the very last week: two honey nut squash, two butternut squash, two peppers, some kale (argh!  no more kale until next June, thank heavens), a bulb of garlic, two red onions, carrots, and some sunchoke potatoes.  We’ll bake the squash as sides with dinners, I’ll saute the kale with some of the onion and garlic and balsamic vinegar for lunch one day this weekend and make the kale go away, I’ll cut up the peppers and carrots for lunch, and I’m going to make some hummus with the sunchokes.

And this little girl helped me put it all away.
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

1 comment:

  1. One of the girls who works with me LOVES kale. Kale sandwiches, kale in salads, kale in everything. You should live next door to her and trade her your kale for her... carrots, or something.

    ReplyDelete