Monday, November 17, 2014

6.17 Bedtime - Humidify This

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the seventeenth day of each month is "Bedtime."
****************************
I broke early this year. I have a deal that I make with myself that my big winter parka isn't allowed out of the dry cleaning bag until Thanksgiving. But today the high was in the single digits. SINGLE DIGITS.  This is, in my decades long experience as an upper Midwesterner, absolutely unusually cold, even by my standards.  So I busted out my parka this morning, despite my Thanksgiving goal of parkalessness.  (We had a job candidate visiting today from Georgia and the poor thing was only wearing the equivalent of a sweatshirt. I gave her my hat - with ear flaps - for the campus tour.)

With the change to frigid temperatures, we had to turn on the heat. We resisted for quite some time, but when the thermometer in the main room read 62 degrees and I was huddled under two blankets with the hood of my sweatshirt up, we knew it was time. Anyway, the heat means dry air. It means we wake up with sore throats. It means the cat is full of static charges and every time you pet her, she cringes because she knows she going to get shocked. It means skin cracking and cuticles bleeding. It means HUMIDIFIER TIME.

We will fill it every night before bed from here until April. (And let's not get into the weekly cleaning ritual - it involves vinegar and rinsing and rinsing and rinsing and I just leave it my husband. I would personally just buy a new humidifier every year, but, in his defense, this is our fourth winter with it and I've never had one last that long before.)

I'm already annoyed with it.
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment